Thursday, October 30, 2008

Grandma Dot & Grandpa Herm

I've been so lucky to be able to visit so much with Grandpa Herm. He came and stayed with us again this week, mostly to try and get some work done on his life history, but also partly just to visit. Somehow this all started a couple of years ago and some conversations we had at Stephanie's wedding. He came to visit last fall and we spent a lot of time just talking. (Although we did take a break to go with Dave's parents to the Jazz game. Thanks again, Loren & Marilyn and Tom for the tickets!) Well a couple of days into the last trip Dave said I should record everything and write it down. At that point it was a little too late to go back over everything again, so we decided the Grandpa would record stories and send me the tapes. A year later, he realized that it's not so fun to talk into a recorder and booked another flight so we could do it together. So this week we have been talking, talking, talking. We both wore ourselves out each day, but I think we go a lot accomplished. He flies home tomorrow and I'm so sad to see him go. I have loved having so much time with him and reminiscing about all of the old times.

Today, though, was an especially hard day since it was the anniversary of Grandma Dot's death. I have so many fond memories of her and the great lady that she was. I think about her quite often and wish she was still here with us. I think that if she was still here my dad's side of the family would be closer. The older I get, the more I wish I had a close family, yet it seems to be farther apart than ever. She was the glue that held everything together and very much the heart of the family. I will never forget the times I had with her and the lessons she tried to teach me. She is the most classy lady I have ever known, yet also the most down to earth and fun. So 23 years after her death, I want to tell her how much I love her and how much I'm looking forward to seeing her again in the next life. I know she watches over me and has played a part in me & Grandpa getting closer and being able to work on this project together.

3 comments:

J9 said...

Wow! What an incredibly special experience. All of my grandparents died before I had the opportunity to realize how important they were to me. I was able to spend a some time with my mom's mom the summer before I graduated from college and my biggest regret was not tape recording our conversations. Somehow I thought I would always remember the things we talked about. I am so glad you have taken advantage of this chance to spend time with your grandpa and document his life.

fubug said...

what a cute pic of the two of them! Love her cute outfit and hat:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonda!

This is your cousin, Emery. So I, too, have been thinking about how our family seems so far apart. I read this post of yours and nearly cried. There is no reason that we live probably 30 minutes from each other (if that) and never see each other. I'm also sad I didn't know Grandpa Herm was in town. I guess that's what we get for have a family that is so "far apart".

Let's not be far apart. I'd love to get together. But for now, you have the link to my blog. :)

And thanks for blogging, so I can keep up with your family!