Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cruisin'

Our cruise was so much fun! We (I) have wanted to go on a cruise for so long and have tried to plan one before, but it hasn't ever worked out. We decided that for our 10th anniversary would be a great time, so off we went. Finding places for all of the kids was the hardest part. This is the first vacation we've been on without kids (other than little weekend getaways) since before the kids, so it was much needed. But having to find places for 5 was nearly impossible and I thought about cancelling our trip a few times because of the hassle. I'm so glad I didn't. Grandpa Martin (yes, you read that right!) took Spencer and Seth for the week and they had a blast. As I said before, Seth wanted to stay and live with them (read - live with the Wii)! Grandpa took them to lunch every day, to the DUP museum and to visit Grandma at school. Thank you Grandpa! And my friend/angel, Kim, took Davis, Tiara and McCall. She was so brave to even consider it, especially because she has 4 of her own and is expecting another in February! She is amazing! They had fun and are still talking about when they lived at Kim's house. I could never thank her enough for helping. Now she just needs to go on vacation so I can pay her back! (hint, hint Chet!)

So with all the kids taken care of, we headed off to San Diego and onto our ship. Dave had never gone on a cruise before, so I wasn't sure (but hopeful) that he would like it. He did and is ready to plan the next one! We ehjoyed the time alone together and being able to be "Dave & Sonda" instead of "Mommy & Daddy". It didn't take long to relax and get back in to being a couple. It felt like another honeymoon. I fell in love with him all over again and couldn't believe how much time had gone by that we were just on autopilot. It's so easy to focus only on the kids, especially while they are young, and forget that we both need attention too. Well, this trip made up for it. It made me realize how much energy I put into our family and how little enrgy I have left to nurture my relationship with Dave. We've always done things together, but it's been with the kids or after they go to bed. Maybe now we'll be a little better about getting a sitter and going out together. If it was only that easy *sigh*

We made stops in Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada. We hung out at the beach in Cabo and did a little shopping there. The weather was great and made us forget that it was December. In Ensenada we went to La Bufadora, which is a big blowhole. The ocean water comes in and fills a cave and then shoots air and water out a hole in the top. It was pretty cool. We did a little more shopping in town and found some cute things for the kids. Our time on the ship was quite relaxing. We both read an entire book each and turned into sudoku junkies. I can't remember the last time I had so much time on my hands that I was looking for something to do. It was great!

I'm, excited to go again, although I need my mom to get home from Chile so we have another Grandma to lean on with the kids. So any of you that are making plans in the next couple of years, keep us in mind. It would be really fun to go with another couple ot two.

4 comments:

J9 said...

Oh, that sounds like SO MUCH FUN! I am so glad you guys got to get away and enjoy each other again! Isn't it great to have wonderful friends and family to lean on? And how fun to enjoy WARM weather for a change!

Rachel said...

So jealous. We were hoping to do something like that for our 10th instead I was horribly sick with my pregnancy. It is nice to rediscover yourselves again though. If only we could do it once a year.

Kim and Chet said...

Is that SUN I see??? It makes me feel a little warmer just looking at your pics! If only....

Maybe one of these days we can take a trip together. It would be fun wouldn't it? And I'm glad your kids had fun. One of these days, months or years I'll get my Mexico or Hawaii trip!

Sonda said...

I would love to go with you guys. That would be so much fun! Get that baby here and big enough to leave and we're there with you.