Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dragging

Yep, that's what I'm doing. Some days are just so hard to get moving. Well, let's just admit it, a lot of days are like that. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I never go to bed before 11:00. That I would rather stay up and watch a movie or play cards with my addicting husband than sleep. *sigh* But some mornings I have to reconsider my choices the previous night. Wouldn't I be better off getting enough sleep and feeling alive in the morning? Maybe, but I choose to ignore that. Stupid? Maybe...maybe not. Because the time I get so spend with him is priceless. After we get all the kids finally tucked in for the night, and after countless drinks of water, potty breaks, hugs and whatever else they seem to dream up to get out of bed, I want some grown up time. It seems that we go through our days and spend all our time and energy doing everything else in life. Only having 1 hour a day for each other isn't enough.

But I digress...

As I'm dragging myself to get anything done today, I can't help but wonder what it will be like when the kids are all gone. Will I be bored? Will we still stay up too late or will we hit the hay by 10? How much can I accomplish each day when I'm not chasing after kids, cleaning up their messes, and running them around? It seems that day will never come. And come it will. Probably way faster than I really want. But, oh, won't it be nice??

So I sit here with kids running around, still in my pajamas, and wishing I could go back to bed. Can't I just sleep while someone exercises for me, gets Tiara ready for school, works on my scrapbooks and cleans my house? But, sadly, I must do all of that myself. Not so glamorous of a life, but the life I chose. My bright spot? Tiara just told me I'm beautiful!

4 comments:

J9 said...

I will admit to still taking a nap every now and then. And I don't have anyone waking me up at night anymore! But if a nap means I can stay up late with my husband and enjoy his company, then it is worth it! I used to feel guilty for napping during the day and putting a movie on for the kids to watch, but then I realized that I am getting up 1-2 hrs. before he does, so I deserve the nap!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! For several reasons...
1) I think being a night owl runs in the family... well, at least I got that gene. :)
2) Kids finding every excuse to get out of bed just makes me laugh because I KNOW I used to do the same thing.
3) You recognize the choice to be a mom and you embrace it, even if it's not so "glamorous" at times.
4) Tiara telling you you're beautiful. Kids are honest. And she's right! :)

Melanie said...

Oh my gosh Sonda, you just described my life to a "T"! I have had a constant battle with being a night owl and wanting to be a morning person my whole life! I've realized I can't do both (well) and the night owl usually wins! Oh and BTW, when our kids are all grown we can just go on a bunch of cruises together and not worry about anything! okey dokey?

Kim and Chet said...

It's crazy to think that the day of being an empty nester will ever come. But in a sense...do we really want it to? Yes and no.

However, I find myself doing the same thing with Chet. I value our alone time before bed together. Although, lately I am out cold as soon as Cash has his last feeding for the night. :(