Sunday, August 23, 2009

Change

Change is good. It keeps us on our toes and creates some interest in what would otherwise be a boring life. It seems that whenever I think that life is just cruising along on auto-pilot, something comes up. How could it not with a family the size of ours? Here we are, with kids back in school and heading into another season of sports. The kids are another grade in school and Dave's 3 are all out of elementary school. It wasn't that long ago that they were the only ones there. Before you know it the hot days will disappear and I'll be layering clothes trying to stay warm.

Now, before you get any ideas running through your head, nothing major has changed in our lives. But it seems that as soon as we finalize one decision, another topic comes up for debate. The latest one was whether or not to move...again. I love our house, location, schools, etc. but the neighborhood seriously lacks children. I feel bad for the kids because I know how fun it was to grow up with lots of friends in the ward and I think their missing out. But on the flip side, they are such good friends with each other and we are able to do so much more as a family. We've decided not to move...again. I just hope that the neighborhood goes through some changes soon so that we aren't the only family with young kids. Funny how I pray for change and am scared of change at the same time. I guess it depends on what your talking about.

I'm excited for the change in dance studios for Tiara, and nervous over the change in preschools. I'm scared to death of my new church calling, but at the same time want to change my other calling. Much of my life is so stable that I'm scared of what will come next. And then I wonder if everything is going so well because we're trying to follow the Lord or if it's remaining the same because heavenly Father doesn't think I can handle any more? Hmmm.

So I start looking for things I can do to change and spice things up. Should I change my hair and go short? What changes can I make to the house? Should I do something major or just stick with the small stuff? The prospect of change is exciting and fun and maybe just thinking about it is good enough. I think we, as humans, get a little bored at times with status quo and look for ways to stir things up. There's nothing wrong with that as long as we're looking in the right places. While the grass always looks greener on the other side, what most of us come to find out is that there was nothing wrong with the grass we already had, it's just different. So as I think about what I can do to stir up some excitement, I also like to look at what I have and really appreciate what I've been given. After all, I really have been given much.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Shannon stirs things up in her house quite a bit. She is always moving things around taking things from various rooms and making a whole new room. She does an awesome job. I wish some of that would rub off on me. I get my mind stuck on one thing and than it stays the same. Good luck with whatever changes come your way.

Kim and Chet said...

One word...DITTO!