Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pneumonia

Well, what started out as the flu has turned into pneumonia. I finally went in to the doctor on Sunday when I was still having fevers, a bad cough and trouble breathing. They took a chest xray and I couldn't believe how bad it looked. Basically, half of my right lung and the bottom part of my left lung around my heart were filled with fluid. No wonder I feel so bad. The doctor said that I caught a second infection on top of the flu because my defenses were down. If I had taken care of myself to begin with, this may not have happened. But since Moms never stop, they get sick. So here's my lesson for all you Moms out there. If you're really sick--TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! I have been of no use to my family the past few days. Dave has had to play both Mom and Dad, and he's sick too! After a big nasty shot in the butt, a breathing treatment and more antibiotics, a night of very labored breathing and a blessing from Dave, I'm finally now starting to breathe a little easier. I still feel pretty crappy- I cough all the time and I'm really tired - but things are sooo much better than they were. I never really thought about someone my age and normally healthy getting pneumonia, but it really does happen. I'm just so thankful for modern medicine and Priesthood blessings. Without both of them, I may not be around to see my kids grow up. That thought has made me think twice about how much I try to push myself to do when I'm not feeling well. Sometimes it's better to say no and take some time for yourself so that you can be there to say yes the next time.

2 comments:

Kim and Chet said...

I hope you get feeling better soon! Let me know if I can help with anything!!!

J9 said...

How awful! I hope you are almost back to normal now! So unfair that us moms never get to take a break. -- Janine