Saturday, April 4, 2009

Triplets . . . . times 2

We have triplets in our house...two sets! First the good news. Our fish had babies - 3 of them! There might have been more, but in my diligent cleaning of the tank this week, I might have thrown some of them out along with the algae cover rocks. Oops! I had started just changing some of the water, but when I saw how dirty the tank walls and bottom were, I decided to do some major cleaning and removed the top layer of yucky rocks and change most of the water instead of the recommended 1/3. While pouring in the new water, I noticed a "floaty" thing. But as I looked closer, I realized that this floaty thing was swimming! It was so tiny that I had to really look close for a while before I realized it was indeed a baby fish. WOW! I looked some more and saw 2 more in there. Poor babies, I had been pouring in water that was probably way too hot for them, not knowing they were in there. (The other fish had been moved to a jar for the cleaning.) I quickly added some treated water that was cooler, hoping I hadn't killed them. I finished up and added the big fish back in, only to see them chase after the babies. Somehow, their new babies looked like dinner to them. The smart little babies hid in the small rocks at the bottom until the next morning when I managed to rescue them and place them in a net so the big fish couldn't eat them. They are growing well and have doubled in size since Wednesday. The kids are just ecstatic! I am just happy they are fish and not puppies or kittens. This is my kind of pet!

Now for the bad news. I've always known I had twins with Davis & Tiara. They are both about the same developmental level and hit milestones at about the same time. But now that McCall is getting older, my twins have turned into triplets! I'm pretty sure I didn't think this through when I had them so close together. She follows right after them, doing everything they do (and say!) As Dave listened to them running, yelling and laughing downstairs this morning, he said, "We have triplets!" Really?!I'm so glad he told me because I never would have known! Somehow, he's missed the 75 times I've said the same thing! I guess they could be fighting, and I should be grateful they're friends, but they drive me crazy some days! There's a reason that the house looks the same (or worse) when Dave gets home from work. I spend most of my days chasing after them, cleaning up after them, and kissing boo boos from running wild all day. By the time I have a break when McCall naps (leaving me with only twins) I'm too exhausted to do much. I know this will pass and I'll be sad, but some days I won't miss. I'm trying really hard to "come what may and love it", but I think I would have rather had my triplets at the same time instead of 3 different pregnancies. At least then I could do all the bottle weaning, potty training and sending off to school at the same time. Oh, that will be a nice day, when I have a couple hours each week to myself! Too bad it won't come for a couple more years. For my triplets won't all go to school at the same time. Instead, I'll send them off, one at a time, and keep the others at home until their turn finally comes.

1 comments:

Kim and Chet said...

Congrats on the babies :) That is my kind of pet too...although I do miss my dog. I watched Marley & Me with the kids last night...BIG mistake! Chet was the only one smart enough to stay away from that movie...good thing he did, too!!!

(oh and the word verification I'm having to type in below is "dogiz", how about that for pouring salt in the wound!)