Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Complaining again!!!

Yes, here I am griping again about our neighborhood. Just when I finally settle down enough to enjoy what I DO have, something else happens. This all started with Sunday when Tiara got beat up, yet again, in nursery. It seems we have a 2 year old that loves to take toys, hit, choke, kick, etc. the other kids in nursery, which maybe wouldn't be so bad if my girls weren't the only other kids in there! Now one would think, "Where are the nursery leaders?", but they are RIGHT THERE very aware of what this child does, but unable to get there fast enough. I'm sure there are other kids in other wards that have this same problem, but having it in our ward makes me itch to leave and take my poor beaten child with me. Luckily, McCall hasn't fallen victim to the brutality yet.

Then yesterday, Melanie tells us of a house close to her and right down the street from the Pearsons that is a GREAT deal. 6000 ft2, brand new, gourmet kitchen and in a ward that I know has tons of kids and parents our age. All for only $430,000! So we drove by last night and really liked it. But wait, we prayed about moving 7 months ago and got a firm "NO". Why not?

So today I decided to take the kids to the splash park in Herriman. They had a blast (well, 1/2 of them) but I forgot to take my camera which is almost always in my purse. Dang it! So I'm sitting there watching my kids play and looking around the park. Little groups of moms were everywhere! Young kids galore! It all left me thinking, why is our park always empty? Don't I have any friends? How come I'm all alone? Well, I do have friends, but many of them have older kids. Thanks to starting a family in my 30's instead of my 20's like the rest of Utah, I am a misfit.

Our ward consists of 45+ year olds with shrinking families due to missions and marriages and 20 somethings with young kids living with grandma and grandpa. If it weren't for Kim, I'd be totally alone. I am so sick of being in a ward where I don't fit in. I'm tired of having to combine with other wards just to have a cub scout pack. This is pathetic. We live smack dab in the middle of a city that boasts large homes with large families, yet we're caught in a time warp where all the old ones stay in their 6 bedroom homes instead of downsizing like the rest of the world. What do they need all that space for?

So all this leaves me wondering what our purpose is here and why we can't get the heck out and find a neighborhood with kids. I want to go to our neighborhood park and not be the only mom there. I want to let my kids play with a friend without having to drive them across town. I want to see bikes on front lawns and pass out popsicles 10 at a time. I want to sit in Relief Society and NOT hear about all the grandkids and mission calls, but about new babies and baptisms. Is that too much to ask???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you got a no 7 months ago because you are were suppose to wait and buy THIS house.

Sonda said...

That thought has crossed our minds, but with this economy who wants to get into any more debt than necessary? Why can't we have it both ways?

Kim and Chet said...

You got a firm "no" because I was praying like CRAZY that you wouldn't move and leave me as the only mom with young kids in this neighborhood! haha. (seriously though!) I get so frustrated with our lack of kids too but no way can we afford, or want to chance, a bigger mortgage payment with the economy looking the way it is. I'm there with you...you're not alone!

J9 said...

That is so frustrating! I feel your pain! We lived in a "retirement neighborhood" before we moved here and while it was fun for the kids to visit the grandmas and grandpas, they really wanted kids to play with. We did see the neighborhood SLOWLY turn over though, and after 5 yrs. there were quite a few young families. As far as the ward goes, that's about what our ward is like, but I would expect more out of Utah! There is a lot to be said for a low mortgage payment right now, though, and we know from experience that you lose alot of money every time you buy and sell. Too bad we can't be neighbors! That would be so much fun!