Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mudders Day

I can't tell you how many times I was told "Happy Mudder's Day" today. There is nothing sweeter to my ears. The kids were extra sweet today and they all had gifts galore. Actually, they've been coming in all week as they've come home from school proudly carrying their gift. More than the gift, I love seeing their little faces beaming with pride. I am so blessed to have these 5 little spirits in my life.

Not every Mother's Day has been like this. Some I've hated. Strong word and feeling, yes, but so were my feelings. I remember how much sadness I'd feel every time Mother's Day rolled around and there I sat, single and childless. They always made all the mothers stand in Sacrament Meeting to present them with a small gift. I sometimes felt that it was just to punish me and remind me what I didn't have. Then, after Dave and I got married, I had hope. Until a miscarriage stripped me of my claim to motherhood just a few weeks before the dreaded day. That was probably the saddest Mother's Day of my life. I felt empty and lost. Little did I know that one year later, I'd be holding my baby boy, only 6 days old.

Mother's Day since then has been a happier day. Not every year, though. Some were still hard as we juggled the things that came along with a split family and having so many kids so fast. Sometimes it was the kids, sometimes it was just me. Luckily, I don't remember any specifics about why they were bad days, I just remember some were.

But not today. This was one of the better ones. Don't know why, just was. Perhaps it was the flowers Dave brought home yesterday. Or maybe it was getting to spend church time in Primary with my kids. Or the sweet hugs and handmade gifts from each of my sweet children. Or maybe it was the many times today that a tiny little voice said, "Happy Mudder's Day, Mommy." What is sweeter?

So to all you Moms out there...Happy Mudder's Day!

0 comments: